Skip to main content
Search

History overview

Learn more about  the history of Esso (Thailand) Public Company Limited and other ExxonMobil affiliates in Thailand. 

  • 1894 Red chicken
    1894

    Standard Oil Company of New York opened its first branch in Thailand at Captain Bush Alley, selling kerosene under Chicken and Eagle brands.

  • 1931

    Standard Oil Company of New York merged with Vacuum Oil Company to found Socony-Vacuum Corporation, selling Gargoyle lubricant.

  • 1933

    Partnered with Standard Oil Company of New Jersey and changed its name to Standard Vacuum Oil Company, using “Pegasus” as a trademark.

  • 1947

    Purchased Chong Nonsi Oil Warehouse from Department of Mineral Fuels.

  • 1962 retail
    1962

    The company changed its name to Esso Standard Eastern Co., Ltd. on April 1, 1962 and replaced the Pegasus trademark with Esso oval logo.

  • 1965
    1965

    Changed the name again to Esso Standard Thailand Co., Ltd.

  • 1967
    1967

    Purchased a plant in Sriracha from Thai Asphalt Company to establish Esso Sriracha Refinery.

  • 1971

    Expanded the refinery for the first time, increasing production capacity to 35,000 barrels per day.

  • 1972

    Relocated the headquarters to 1016, Rama IV Road, opposite of Lumphini Park.

  • 1971 refinery expansion
    1976

    Expanded the refinery again, increasing production capacity to 46,000 barrels per day.

  • 1979

    Esso Exploration and Production Korat Inc. was founded. Granted a concession for fuel exploration and extraction in Korat Plateau, the company discovered natural gas at Nam Pong, Khon Kaen. The company later changed its name to ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Korat Inc.

  • 1985

    Expanded the refinery to increase production capacity to 63,000 barrels per day.

  • 1991

    Acquired permission to increase production capacity of Esso Sriracha Refinery to 185,500 barrels per day.

    Partnered with leading oil companies in founding Thai Petroleum Pipeline Co., Ltd. to line petroleum pipe from Sriracha Refinery to Lum Lukka, Don Mueng, and Saraburi.

  • 1996

    Changed the name to Esso (Thailand) Public Co., Ltd.

  • 1998

    HM King Rama IX granted the Garuda, Thai national emblem, to Esso (Thailand) Public Co., Ltd.

    Began building the aromatics plant in the vicinity of Esso Sriracha Refinery.

  • 2001

    Acquired business of Mobil Oil Thailand Limited and operated under the name Esso (Thailand) Public Co., Ltd.

  • 2002

    Founded ExxonMobil Limited to support ExxonMobil affiliates in Thailand and aboard.

  • 2003

    Officially established Bangkok Business Support Center.

  • 2008

    Listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand.

  • 2011

    Celebrated the success of clean fuels project with over 10 billion baht funding.

  • 2014

    Celebrated 120th anniversary in Thailand and renovated petrol stations.

Close