The refinery has a maximum rated capacity of 174,000 barrels per day with over 100 crude and finished oil tanks, a jetty, off the coast to handle large oil tankers of up to 120,000 tons and three jetties to deliver up to 8,000 tons of oil and chemical products.
The refinery configuration incorporates ExxonMobil’s unique proprietary technologies that provide us with significant flexibility to handle a wide range of crude oils and to produce a high proportion of high-value products such as gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel.
In 1999, an aromatics plant with a capacity of 500,000 tons per year was established and fully integrated with the refinery operations, employing world-class technology and produce aromatics primarily in the form of paraxylene which is used to make purified terephthalic acid (PTA), the raw material for producing polyester film, packaging resin and fabrics. Other chemical products include solvents and plasticizers.
The refinery operations are guided by ExxonMobil’s safety principle. It strictly follows the Operations Integrity Management System (OIMS), which defines working procedures based on safety, health and the environment.
In addition, Esso Sriracha Refinery provides trainings to instill and create awareness on safety among employees and contractors at all levels. The refinery has adopted the Loss Prevention System to promote safety awareness among employees on the job and off the job.
Cleaner fuels for Thais
Esso Sriracha Refinery focuses on delivering environmentally friendly energy.
• Starting in 2010, the 10-billion-baht Sriracha clean fuel project was aimed at refinery process improvement to lower sulfur in diesel and gasoline to meet Euro IV standard. The cleaner fuels have been ready for commercialization, meeting the governmental requirement, since January 1, 2012.
• Global Energy Management System (GEMS) is employed. As a result, the refinery can reduce energy use in its overall operation by 2% per year.
• Its cogeneration units can produce 49.1-megawatt electricity while the surplus steam is brought back to use in the refining process. Due to its inherent energy efficiency, the use of cogeneration leads to reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
The refinery has adopted Global Energy Management System (GEMS) to improve its energy utilization. Recognizing energy as one of many business objectives, employees at all levels are accountable for the optimization of the refinery’s energy usage. Employees are encouraged to revisit their work processes and implement energy efficiency projects that can maximize profitability as well as contribute to efforts towards reducing emissions.
People are the greatest asset of our organization and we continue to invest on people development. Esso is not merely a work place but it is an institute and employees continue to learn new things every day. We have a comprehensive curriculum to train our employees via Global Manufacturing Training Program which includes a wide range of courses from technical to individual effectiveness ones. In addition, employees are coached how to work effectively and efficiently and they are continuously trained via regular assignments to gain their experiences and skills necessary for the holistic development in the future. Three out of the five core values of Esso Sriracha Refinery are all about people – Unity and Teamwork, People Development and Empowered Workforce – indicating a strong determination to foster resource to their maximum potentials.
“Because We Care”
Over five decades, Esso Sriracha Refinery has supported the neighboring communities through initiatives in many areas: education, health, environmental conservation and women’s economic opportunities.
• Laem Chabang Skill Center was established in 2010 to provide women in 10 communities near Laem Chabang areas with skills, resources and supporting facilities to help improve their economic circumstances, business management skill and drive positive change in their communities.
• The Esso Sriracha Refinery's educational fund was established in 1999 with the aim of supporting needy students with good performance and behavior. So far, the program has awarded 3,600 scholarships to local students.
• Each year, over 150 employees and their family members have volunteered to join Day of Caring activities ranging from preserving mangrove forest, constructing a home for the less fortunate to building brain-based learning playgrounds for schools in the community.
• Employees at Esso Sriracha refinery have volunteered to teach English to students of Wat Laem Chabang School every Thursday for the past 15 years. The teaching volunteers help foster a friendly and conducive learning atmosphere, resulting in highly enjoyable classes.
• Esso Sriracha Refinery has supported Khao Kheow Open Zoo in installing interactive signs at its Cat Complex area to educate and raise awareness for tigers among the public. In addition, to encourage young people to appreciate and join the efforts in preserving the nature, the Refinery has continuously supported the Zoo Outreach Program and the Youth Leadership Camp where participants are able to connect and learn about sustainable wildlife and environmental conservation.